SEMPRA is the first herbicide introduced in India by Dhanuka Agritech Ltd for effective control of Cyperus rotundus. It is a selective, systemic, post-emergence herbicide with WDG formulation for effective control of Cyperus rotundus from nuts in Sugarcane and Maize crop.SEMPRA has strong systemic action i.e. moves in both ways through Xylem & Phloem. SEMPRA stops the metabolic functions of Cyperus by stopping formation of the amino acids (Valin, Isoleucine, Lucine) which is responsible for the protein required for growth of the Cyperus resulting in yellowing of its leaves & nuts becoming darker & further destroying it in 14-30 days. SEMPRA has been extensively evaluated and recommended by institution/ universities like Vasantdada Sugar Institute (Maharashtra), Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Regional Research Station (Haryana Agricultural University, Hisar), Agricultural Research Station (University of Agricultural Sciences, Dharward), U. P. Council of Sugarcane Research, Narendra Deva University of Agriculture & Technology, Faizabad (UP).SEMPRA is internationally registered in countries like India, Japan, U.S.A, Australia, Mexico, Brazil, Colombia & South Africa.
Sempra Herbicide contains Halosulfuron methyl 75%wg and is a selective early post-emergence herbicide for control of yellow nutsedge and purple nutsedges and certain broadleaf weeds in barley, wheat, maize and sugarcane.
Mode of Action
Taken up through the roots and shoots, upwards via xylem and downwards via phloem. It accumulates in the plant and inhibits the plant enzyme aceto lactate synthate (ALS) which is responsible for purchasing essential aminoacids. The affected weeds cannot therefore maintain proteins for new cells. The whole process is driven by the plant's use of water (transpiration).
SEMPRA, being a sulfonylurea group herbicide, inhibits acetolactate synthase (ALS), which is the first enzyme in the biosynthetic pathway of the essential branched chain amino acide (Valine, Leucine & isoleucine). Inhibition of ALS leads to the starvation of the plant (Cyperus rotundus) for these amino acids, resulting in death (killing) of weeds. For crop plants, in the grass family like maize sugarcane, etc. there is no effect of Sempra as these plant have strong MFO (mixed function oxidases which breaks down the herbicide molecule to acid metabolite forms.
- Efficacy at Low Dose: Sempra provides outstanding control of Cyperus rotundus at 36 gm/acre. It also offers soil residual activity and controls late emerging weeds. Compared to traditional herbicides it's dosage is low.
- Nutrient uptake checked: Sempra checks nutrient uptake by Cyperus Rotundus within 24 hrs of application resulting in good healthy crop.
- Safe to Crop: Sempra does not harm the crop of Sugarcane & Maize.
- Strong Soil Residual Action: Sempra has strong residual action due to which it controls new germinating Cyperus rotundus.
- Reduced Weeding Expenses: Sempra gives freedom from repeated manual weeding which leads to saving manual labour cost in herbicides application.
- Increase Yield: Sempra results in more yield hence more profits