Trichoderma species fungi are free-living fungi that are commonly found in soil and plant root micro climatic systems. These fungi produce or release wide variety of compounds that can induce some defensive responses to pests and diseases in plants. Trichoderma species are important in soil as they can be used as biological agents in controlling many plant diseases and also have plant root growth promoting capabilities.
Two species Trichoderma viride and Trichoderma harzianum are twoTrichoderma fungal species prominent in present agriculture trends.
Five benefits of using Trichoderma species to Soil for plants
- Disease Control: Trichoderma species may be used against various soil borne pathogenic fungi like Fusarium, Phytopthora, Scelerotia. Foliar diseases such as blights, Powdery mildew, Downy mildew are also said to controlled when sprayed at cooler temperatures. Trichoderma spp. are said to have detrimental activity towards free living plant parasitic nematodes present in the soil and plant root zone.
- Plant Growth Promoter: Trichoderma species strains supports in solubilising phosphates and micronutrients in the soil. This process makes nutrients in the soil more available to plants to absorb and utilize the nutrients. The plants will develop deeper root system which may help pants in drought tolerance.
- Biochemical Elicitors of Disease Resistance: Trichoderma strains produce some compounds that can induce ethylene production, hypersensitive responses and other defense mechanisms in plant systems.
- Transgenic Plants: recent biotechnological trends in transgenic plants development have tried introduction of endochitinase gene from Trichoderma have evolved tobacco and potato plants with increased resistance to fungal infections from Alternaria spp., A. solani, and Botrytis cinerea and also to the soil-borne pathogen, Rhizactonia spp.
- Bioremediation: Trichoderma has got the ability to break down the pesticide and herbicide residues in the soil. The process is called bioremediation of soil and Trichoderma species have the ability to degrade a wide range of insecticides groups like organochlorines, organophosphates and carbonates.
Method of application of Powder form of Trichoderma spp.
- Seed treatment: Mix 25 – 50 g of Trichoderma [Powder formulation] 5 to10 mL /L [ Liquid formulation] per litre of cow dung slurry for treatment of 1kg of seed before sowing, particularly for cereals, pulses and oilseeds.
- Nursery treatment: Drench nursery beds with @ 15 gm Trichoderma [Powder formulation] 5 mL /L [ Liquid formulation] per litre of water before sowing.
- Cutting and seedling root dip: Mix 25 – 50 g of Trichoderma [Powder formulation] 3 to 5 mL /L [ Liquid formulation] per litre of water and dip the cuttings and seedlings for 20-30 minutes before planting.
- Soil treatment: Mix 5 to 10 kg of Trichoderma [Powder formulation] 2 to 3 L [ Liquid formulation] in 100 kg of farmyard manure and cover it for 7 days with polythene. Mix the mixture in every 3-4 days interval before broadcasting in the field.
- Foliar Application: Trichoderma 5 -10 gm/L [Powder formulation] 3 to 5 mL /L [ Liquid formulation] and spray on diseased plants on cooler hours.
Best quality Trichoderma products available for sale on BigHaat are
High quality Humic Acid products available for sale on BigHaat are
K SANJEEVA REDDY,
Senior Agronomist, BigHaat.
Disclaimer: The performance of the product (s) is subject to usage as per manufacturer guidelines. Read enclosed leaflet of the product(s) carefully before use. The use of this product(s)/ information is at the discretion of user.
Share this post