Management of Stem borer in Paddy
The larvae of stem borer bore at the base of the plants during the vegetative stage. The stem borer pest infestation is more prominent in deepwater rice with continuous flooding.
- Dead tillers or Dead hearts that can be easily pulled from the base during the vegetative stages
- Whiteheads during reproductive stage making emerging panicles whitish and unfilled or empty.
- Tiny holes are seen on the stems and tillers
- The damaged stems will be filled with Frass or fecal matters
Dead hearts and whiteheads symptoms are also confused with damages caused by rats, neck blast, and black bug diseases. For clear confirmation one should check for infestations at different stages. Stems or tillers may be pulled out and cut open for larvae and pupae to confirm stem borer damage.
Spray that can control the stem borers of Paddy crop.
1. Caldon 2 gm/ L + Neemark 1 % 1 mL/L
2. Coragen 0.33 mL/L + Raccalto Spraywell
Jashn 2 mL/L + Active neem oil 1 mL/L
To control stem borers insects of paddy in addition to the foliar spray the granulated insecticides may be applied like Cover insecticide 4 kg per acre.
K Sanjeeva Reddy,
Disclaimer: The performance of the product(s) is subject to usage as per manufacturer guidelines. Read enclosed leaflet of the product(s) carefully before use. The use of this product(s) /information is at the discretion of user.
Share this post