Guava (Psidium guajava L.) is one of the important commercial fruit grown in India. A number of plant pathogens have been reported to attack guava trees including fungi, bacteria, algae and nematodes.
In recent days the guava crop is suffering the attack of root knot nematodes leading to major crop losses in many guava crop growing areas.
In present Guava cultivation a new species of root-knot nematode i.e., Meloidogyne enterolobii is an emerging problem and wide spreading across the country. Majority of the farmers are growing high density and ultra-high density cropping patterns.
Most of the districts of Andhra Pradesh, Telengana, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh and other states of India. Almost all farmers’ guava fields are invaded by these nematodes causing crop losses.
Guava plant show above-ground decline symptoms –
- Drastic reduction in plant growth, reduced flowering and fruit setting and finally death of tree in severe infestations.
- Leaves shows bronzing colour.
- Plant exhibits stunted growth.
- Declined yield quality and quantity.
Below ground symptoms-
- Roots with large sized galls.
- Absence of fine white roots, a poorly developed root system.
- Severely infested roots will be distorted by small and large multiple galls.
- Brown colored degraded roots are visible at severely infected roots.
Management of root knot nematodes in Guava trees
These fungi will invade the free living root not nematodes Meloidogyne enterolobii in the root zone of guava plants or trees.
- Drenching the plants with Drenching for individual plants/trees of following mixtures at 15 days interval
- Through drip irrigation in 500 L of following mixtures at 15 days interval
- First application: Marshal 3 mL/L + V-Hume plus - 3 mL/L + Econeem plus 1 % 2 mL/L of water
- Second application: Danitol - 3 mL/L + Gibrax Phytozyme 3 mL/L + Neemark 1 % 2 mL/L of water
- Above mixtures should be drenched about 3 – 4 litre per tree
- Two to three times each combination
- One after the other at weekly intervals
- Irrigation must not be provided two days before application and after application of the above mixtures.
Manjula G. S.
For more information kindly call on 8050797979 or give missed call on 180030002434 during office hours 10 AM to 5 PM
Disclaimer: The performance of the product (s) is subject to usage as per manufacturer guidelines. Read enclosed leaflet of the product(s) carefully before use. The use of this product(s)/ information is at the discretion of user.
Share this post